The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit advises that recent sampling by Ministry of Environment of water from Three Mile Lake has identified the presence of mycrocystin from blue-green algae at a level that exceeds the current standard for drinking water.
Human or animal consumption of this water may pose a health hazard.
If you are drawing your water from a surface supply where algae is evident, boiling or other home treatment devices will not destroy the toxins. An alternate source of potable water for drinking should be used.
If your drinking water comes from a well, there should be no increased risk from the toxin.
The toxin can cause gastrointestinal symptoms, so where an algae bloom is evident. Avoid using the water for drinking, cooking, dishwashing, brushing teeth or making baby formula.
If levels of toxin increase, it can irritate the skin so bathing, showering, swimming, other water sport activities and doing laundry which increase the risk of ingestion and/or skin contact should also be avoided.
Pets and livestock drinking this water can also be affected.
Toxins could remain in the water for up to three weeks after an algal bloom.
The Ministry of the Environment continues to monitor Three Mile Lake. We will share any new information as results come in.
Please refer to our web site at: www.simcoemuskokahealth.org for further information. The Ministry of the Environment may also be contacted at: 1-800-268-6060.